Beware of ATM Fees in the U.S.

USAFIS works with foreign nationals who want help with their visa application and immigration process. Here is something to consider if you immigrate to the U.S. When doing banking in the United States, you can get money from your account, or withdraw money, in two different ways:

  • You can go to the bank, fill out a form called a withdrawal slip and give it to the teller.
  • You can go to an ATM, which is an Automatic Teller Machine, and use your ATM card. You will need to know and enter your 4-digit personal identification number (PIN) to withdraw money. Your PIN is very important and should not be shared with anyone. Carry your card and memorize the number, but don’t carry it with you.

money-rain-1013688_1920It is best to withdraw money from an ATM that is affiliated with your bank, so you won’t have to pay any additional service charges.

If you go to a different ATM, you may have to pay two fees – one from your bank and one from the bank affiliated with the ATM.

These fees can be anywhere from $1.00 to $5.00 per transaction and could add up to $1000 over the course of a year.

It’s important to never write checks unless you know you have the money in your checking account. If you think that could happen, talk to a bank representative so he or she can help you sign up for overdraft protection on your account.

Overdraft protection protects your account from being overdrawn and prevents checks from bouncing or returning unpaid. Keep in mind, however, that there may be additional fees on the overdraft account.

USAFIS has years of experience in helping people with the U.S. immigration process. Contact us today to see how we can help you with your visa application and other important aspects regarding your immigration to the United States.

Skip to content